Tuesday 28 April 2015

Creating Quentin's scars*


For my character of Quentin I wanted to recreate the look of scarification. I knew that the best way would be to use Rigid Collodian, but as I am on a budget I first wanted to try out an idea I had using Gelatine. Gelatine is commonly used to create burns, but as some scarification is performed by heated metal branding techniques, I thought that if the technique payed off, a more burned look would still work for my Quentin character. I bought regular Gelatine intended for baking to try out the look. I started by applying a reddish purple colour (the colour a scar usually starts of as) in the shape of the words 'mine' that I wanted to apply to the skin. After heating up the Gelatine mixture I started to apply it to the words. I didn't find this technique to work very well, the shop bought Gelatine wasn't the right consistency to paint onto the words, and as I had used the oil based supra colour it was difficult to adhere. I realised it was probably the wrong product to use so went ahead and purchased some rigid collodian. 


I first tried with the rigid collodian using supra colour as my base colour again. I liked the effect the collodian created for the scars, but found when it came to blending foundation over the top, the oily supra colour blended out making the whole area pink. 

I decided to try again using Aqua colour. After repeating the same process as before but using the Aqua colour, I was really pleased with the look of the scar. The drier consistency was easier for the collodian to adhere to, and didn't colour the whole area after foundation was placed on top. It would be interesting to try the first method using gelatine with the Aqua colour, and see if this would make this technique more successful. 





No comments:

Post a Comment